Sweet potato tacos with black beans, vegetables and a hint of honey and lime.
I love sweet potatoes. In fact, I bought two big bags of sweet potatoes at Trader Joe’s the other day. So I had to figure out a way to use them. I found this recipe from Cooking Classy and used it as my inspiration to make some sweet potato tacos.
I used about half a 3 pound bag of sweet potatoes. There were 11 in the bag and I used the 5 biggest ones.
Dice them up.
Cover in olive oil.
Add some cumin, paprika, and cayenne..
And bake until crispy.
On the stovetop, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add a diced onion and a clove of garlic.
Add a can of black beans and some veggies. I used a frozen veggie bag of peas, corn, and carrots.
Take sweet potatoes out of oven and add to bean mixture.
Add salt and pepper or more spices if desired. My tortillas were pretty small and they were so packed with good stuff that I had to eat mostly with a fork. But I’ll still call them tacos.
Only one and a half bags of sweet potatoes left to go! Maybe I’ll make some french fries…
Sweet potato, black bean and veggie tacos with honey and lime
Sweet potato tacos with black beans, vegetables and a hint of honey and lime. Flavorful vegetarian dinner the whole family will love!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, (about 1 and 1/2 pounds), cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, (divided)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, (diced)
- 1 clove garlic, (minced)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables, corn, peas and carrots, thawed or rinsed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking pan and cover with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle cumin, paprika and cayenne over the sweet potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender and slightly crispy.
- While sweet potatoes are baking,, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onion and saute for 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and stir together with onion for another minute. Add in black beans, vegetables, honey and lime juice, and stir until mixed.
- Stir in sweet potatoes with to bean mixture.
- Top with salt and pepper. Serve as is or over tortillas.
Adapted from Cooking Classy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 18gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.
Friday 25th of October 2013
Where's the meat?
Saturday 26th of October 2013
No meat required! :)