A pumpkin shaped cheese ball that is a perfect appetizer to serve at a Halloween or other Fall-themed event. Super cute and delicious!
For a Halloween party a couple of years ago I made a cheese ball that was in the shape of a pumpkin, which I thought was so cute. The shredded cheese was added to the outside of the ball so it was orange like a pumpkin, and a pretzel was used as a stem.
I can’t remember where I found that original recipe for the pumpkin cheese ball. But I remembered a few of the ingredients and thought I would give it another whirl.
I’m not claiming to have great molding skills, and my pictures would be evidence against that too. So yours might have a bit more resemblance to a real pumpkin than mine. People dig right in to a cheese ball though even if it’s not perfect. So it probably won’t stay in its original shape for long anyway!
If you’re super creative you could even make it a jack-o-lantern face!
I also made a few mini pumpkins, which are be super cute but also a bit more time consuming.
It does help for the cream cheese to be a little closer to room-temperature than fridge-temperature when mixing and molding. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge but don’t put the pretzels in until right before serving though.
Nobody likes a warm cheese ball but it does need to be a little thawed so the pretzels/chips/other dippers don’t break.
- 1 8 oz package plain cream cheese, (softened)
- 1 8 oz carton chive and onion cream cheese
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, (shredded), divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parsley, (fresh for garnish or dried for added color)
- Combine both cream cheeses, 6 ounces of the shredded cheese, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Make into a ball. Use the remaining 2 ounces of shredded cheese to stick on the outside of the cheese ball. Stick a pretzel in the middle of the ball to make a stem. Use sprigs of fresh parsley as garnish on the plate, or use dried parsley to sprinkle on top to add some color. Serve with pretzels or your choice of chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.