Spaghetti Squash with sautéed mushrooms, tomato and onion. A low-carb, gluten-free and vegan meal full of vegetables and flavor. Only 5 main ingredients, plus seasoning!
Once I learned –> the trick <– to getting long, actual spaghetti-like strands from spaghetti squash, I'm always on the look out for new ways to eat it.
We've made it a few ways here on the site so far:
And there's always the option to just substitute it in your favorite spaghetti pasta dish for a little less carbs and a little more veggies. Which I haven't really written about – until now!
If you're someone who isn't a fan of red sauce and just like a little olive oil and flavor, this is the dinner dish for you.
I particularly like the crunch factor from the red onion slices, and the flavor from the herbs and salt and pepper is KEY. Basil and parsley are my favorites to add, and oregano would be a good option as well!
Options to add more flavor: sauté the mushrooms with minced garlic or add chili pepper flakes.
You can eat it in the half-shell (though remember this is the opposite of the trick to get long strands)…
Or dump it all on a plate.
And make it as messy…
Or as neat as you like.
Top with some herbs (dried is okay but fresh is great, if you have them), salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 8 oz. mushrooms (I used white button), sliced
- tomato slices or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion , roughly chopped
- fresh or dried basil as garnish (or parsley, oregano)
- Bake and cut your spaghetti squash according to preference. (See this linked post for options and instructions.)
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes.
- In spaghetti squash halves or on serving plates, top off squash with remaining olive oil (or as desired). Add the sautéed mushrooms, tomato slices and red onion.
- Top with herbs, salt and pepper and serve!
- Options to add more flavor: sauté the mushrooms with minced garlic or add chili pepper flakes. Or see how to make caramelized mushrooms.
Recommended and useful items for this spaghetti squash with mushrooms recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.