Spaghetti Squash Nests garnished with fresh basil are the perfect dinner appetizer for your guests or casserole-style dinner for your family. Customizable and delicious! Vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
With this recipe, I was originally trying to recreate these spaghetti nests with spaghetti squash.
A little bit by accident (because I forgot), there is another difference. These “nests” aren't made to hold their shape. (Meaning there is no egg mixed in to help the shape “bake” together.)
So if you stuck a fork in one to pick it up, it would fall apart.
BUT I still thought they were a cute way to divide up servings instead of a normal dump-everything-in casserole.
I kept these super simple with just herbs, marinara sauce and a bit of cheese.
You may choose to mix it up with other sauces like pesto or Alfredo if you prefer. Even in the same casserole you add different sauces and flavors to some of the nests, if you have picky eaters.
This would be a great way to mix up a classic spaghetti night too.
And get your veggies in!
- Cut and cook the spaghetti squash (see here for a guide). After cooling, scrape out squash into bowl.
- Using a fork, twirl squash strands around to make a "nest". Place in a greased casserole dish, side by side. (Amount will depend on size of squash, mine made about 15.)
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Top with marinara sauce, and cheese (if using).
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm.
*Prep time includes time for cooking squash in oven and cooling.
**Tips for customization: use different sauces, like Alfredo or pesto on some of the nests. Add olives, other cooked veggies as toppings.
***These nests are not made to hold together (like in this recipe), it's more of a serving size and presentation method. Mix in an egg or other binder to spaghetti squash before making nests if you prefer the shape to hold.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.