Garlic Sage Smashed Potatoes are a great side item at your dinner table. A customizable version of mashed potatoes that everyone will love.
I’m not sure where I first heard of “smashed” potatoes, but the idea is brilliant!
It has the best features of mashed potatoes with the added benefit of being customizable, and in perfect serving sizes.
Even if you have 2, 3, or 4 servings.
It’s simple, really.
Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes.
Then place them on a baking sheet.
And SMASH them.
The bottom of a mason jar, or something similar, works brilliantly for this.
While not completely necessary, I like to “score” the potatoes with a knife before smashing.
I think this makes for a prettier mashing, and also cuts through the skin to allow the butter, oil and herbs to marinate.
Then you mix some olive oil, butter (or more olive oil) and herbs and pour all over these babies.
Garlic + sage are a delicious combo with potatoes, but you know I like to give you options!
Since mini potatoes work best here, you can have 10+ potatoes customized to different flavor profiles if you like.
Top some with cheese!
What about hot sauce?
The choice is yours.
But definitely top with a generous serving of sea salt + freshly ground black pepper.
Eating straight off the pan is totally allowed.
(I totally did this.)
How will you enjoy these smashed potatoes? I’d love to hear about your creations!
- 1.5 lbs. Dutch Yellow Baby Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (or more olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped (or half this amount of dried sage)
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese (optional, I have tried with gruyere cheese)
- Boil a large pot of water. Add potatoes and keep boiling on high heat for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from water and let cool slightly.
- When the potatoes are slightly cooled, transfer to a baking sheet. Score the potatoes with an "X" or cross, about half an inch deep. (Not completely necessary, but I find the smashed shape to be prettier when I do this first!)
- Using the bottom of a glass or something similar (I used the bottom of a mason jar), smash the potatoes to be flat.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, butter, garlic and sage.
- Pour olive oil mixture evenly over the smashed potatoes. Top with a generous serving of salt and pepper.
- Add shredded cheese to some or all, if using. Bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes until warmed or cheese is melted. Option to BROIL for the last 2-3 minutes of baking time to add browning.
*See post for suggestions to customize.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.