This broccoli and cheese baked potato casserole is a super easy dinner with just 5 ingredients plus spices! Vegetarian, gluten-free.
Click here to save this Broccoli and Cheese Baked Potato Casserole recipe on Pinterest!
Who doesn't like a good baked potato?
They are pretty easy, customizable, and can be pretty healthy if you do them right.
I don't eat them often, but they sure are a good way to have a filling meal with a variety of topping options.
You know what's even easier than a baked potato?
A baked potato casserole!
My heart was set on broccoli and cheese, and I was disappointed I didn't have broccoli in the fridge.
THEN I remembered, I happened to have bags of riced broccoli saved in my freezer for reasons just like these. (Trader Joe's for the win!)
If you don't have riced broccoli (or don't feel like sticking it in a food processor) you can just roughly chop your florets and throw them in there.
A red bell pepper also made it's way in this batch, and while it is optional, it does add a good pop of color!
Did I mention you don't have to cook or boil the potatoes first?
Just chop them up and throw them in. You don't even need to peel if they are organic!
Everything just cooks right there in the pan.
It's a true chop & dump kind of casserole.
That's probably not the right saying, but you get the idea.
While the most common baked potato is a russet potato, I actually used Yukon gold. They have a little more flavor but aren't all that different texture-wise.
I bake until the main ingredients until potatoes are tender and then add the cheese until it melts.
As with a lot of recipes, I think herbs are really important here. Drizzling the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper is a must and any more spices will really help the flavors pop.
I used dried thyme in the potatoes and fresh parsley on top.
Other herb options that go well with baked potatoes: oregano, paprika, garlic, chives.
This will serve about 4 as a meal, and up to 8 as a side. Enjoy!
Broccoli and Cheese Baked Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes* (about 5 gold potatoes), cut into 1 inch cubes = 5 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 15 oz. bag of riced broccoli (about 2 1/2 cups), or about 3 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter , cut in slices
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a casserole dish (I used a 9x13), add chopped potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat with spoon or hands.
- Add in broccoli and chopped bell pepper, and sprinkle with thyme. Top with slices of butter.
- Bake at 375°F. for 45-55 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Gently stir potatoes and then top with shredded cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve warm!
Recommended and useful items for this broccoli and cheese baked potato casserole recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!