Caramelized Chili White Button Mushrooms – sliced mushrooms caramelized in garlic and olive oil, topped with chili flakes and parsley. A deliciously easy, spicy and unexpected veggie side dish!
While I was editing these photos it felt like I was playing a game of “how many ways can we look at the same plate of mushrooms?”
The answer? Not that many.
BUT you don't need many pictures to get the gist of this super easy veggie side dish recipe.
I'll tell you how it came to be.
The Vegetarian Flavor Bible. Are we surprised? This is only the 737th time I've mentioned it.
When I flipped to the “mushroom” page to figure out what to do with my next box of white button mushrooms, I saw a quote:
People who don't like white button mushrooms probably haven't had them cooked well — which is seared on screamingly high heat. You want to caramelize them in some garlic and olive oil, seasoned with chili flakes and parsley.” ~Eric Tucker, Millenium (San Francisco)
So, that's what I did.
So for those of you who haven't liked white button mushrooms (until now), I challenge you to try it this way to see if it makes a difference!
If you happen to have a chili lime seasoning (I have some from Trader Joe's) that also goes really well in place of the chili flakes.
You know what else these go great with?
That spaghetti squash and mushroom pasta I just posted!
Chili Flake White Button Mushrooms
- 1.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms , sliced (about 2 cups)
- chili flakes (crushed red pepper)
- parsley (I used dried)
- sea salt (if needed, taste first)
- In a medium pan or cast iron, heat oil on high.
- Once hot, add in garlic and mushrooms and sear on high heat for about 3 minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and dried parsley. Salt if needed.
- Serve as a vegetable side or add to pastas or salads as desired.
Recommended and useful items for this chili white button mushroom recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.