Lemony Brussels Sprouts are a wonderfully citrusy vegetable side dish. Serve on top of salads or with a meal for a fresh lemon pop of flavor! Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
We are finding ourselves towards the (apparent) end of Brussels Sprouts season – it's beginning of APRIL. How did that happen?!
But someone needs to tell the weather though, because snow is in the forecast for Saturday. In April. In North Carolina. Never mind that it's currently 80 degrees.
Brussels sprouts get a bad rap (bad rep? which is it?) but when cooked properly, might be my favorite vegetable. Besides spinach. Or maybe sweet potatoes. Okay DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE.
Either way I like them a whole lot.
But if you just want to go straight lemon flavor, do that! All you need is the olive oil and a little sea salt. Plus the lemon.
And roast to perfection.
I like to add half the lemon juice before roasting and half of the lemon juice after roasting. A little of the baked-in flavor and a little of the fresh flavor.
No idea if this actually makes a difference but it's what I do!
These would be great on top of a salad or bed of greens, but also an easy simple side dish.
Use up those sprouts!
What's YOUR favorite way to eat your Brussels sprouts?
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 medium lemon (about 2-3 tablespoons juice)
- sea salt, to taste (option to use garlic salt for extra garlic flavor)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and cut in half (or quarters if sprouts are very large).
- On a baking sheet, toss sprouts with olive oil and minced garlic if using. Top with juice of 1/2 lemon and salt to taste.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Watch for burning!
- Finish with juice from the other 1/2 of lemon and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.