Lentil lettuce wraps with lemon garlic hummus. Healthy, easy, customizable and full of flavor! Vegan and gluten-free. This post is sponsored by Lentils.org in collaboration with their #LoveALentil #LetsLentil campaign. All opinions are my own.
Time for another lentil recipe!
We already know that lentils are not just for soups.
(Remember those waffles? Dreamy.)
But this time we're not hiding them. Lentils are the star of the show here!
Once again I used split red lentils since they cook in roughly 5 minutes, and mixed in some cumin spice.
And there's your main filler for LETTUCE WRAPS! Do you have memories of getting excited about these at restaurants too? Or am I the only one?
Maybe because it's basically an excuse to play with your food.
Instead of just one dish with all the filling mixed together, I like to have an array of bowls with all my options in front of me.
My toppings choices consisted of avocado, red onion and a homemade lemon garlic hummus. And the lentils, of course.
You can whip up the hummus while the lentils are cooking and have everything ready to eat in 15 minutes flat.
These are filling as a meal in itself, and are packed with protein and fiber. This recipe uses one cup (200 grams) of dried lentils which has a total of 52 grams of protein, divided between 6 wraps.
And that's just the lentils! Everything in this recipe is healthy healthy. Chickpeas, lemon, garlic, lettuce, onions, avocado. Feel free to get creative with your toppings, but man this combo is good.
(You can read more about the nutritional information of lentils here.)
For the hummus you'll need a can of chickpeas, a lemon, tahini, olive oil and a couple cloves are garlic. Whip it all up in a food processor and top off your wraps.
Lemon + garlic go very nicely with red lentils.
For the lentils:
- 1 cup dried red split lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
For the hummus:
- 1 (15. oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt, to taste
For the lettuce wraps:
- 6 large lettuce leaves (I used iceberg)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
To cook the lentils:
- Rinse dried lentils and add to pot with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain. Mix together lentils and cumin in a bowl and set aside to let cool.
To make the hummus:
- While lentils are cooking, add garbanzo beans, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add salt to taste, and more olive oil or a bit of water if needed.
- Rinse and pat dry lettuce with paper towels.
- Add cooled cooked lentils, hummus and toppings as desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Lentils.org. The opinions and text are all mine.