My grandma's vegetarian baked ziti will quickly become a family favorite. Requires only 5 ingredients! Easy comfort food that you can make ahead or freeze for later. Hands down the best baked ziti recipe.
I'm kind of surprised this wasn't the very first recipe I ever posted to the blog. (Though my first post was not surprisingly still in the carb family).
This baked ziti recipe used to be my signature dish.
Whenever I would invite people over for dinner, this was my go-to casserole.
The recipe comes from my grandma (though she wants me to clarify it came from my grandpa's side of the family in NY) and is so simple and fool-proof, I never saw a need to make anything else.
I still have the original email from her from over a decade ago, which would have been when I moved into my first college apartment.
I would pop this in the oven along with some Sister Schubert dinner rolls, maybe buy a frozen vegetable dish to heat up to go along with it and I was done.
Even after I started to branch out more and started this blog, I have still made this recipe a handful of times and it is always a home run.
How to make this easy baked ziti:
Prep time is minimal and feeds an army, or at least 12 very hungry people. For dinner parties I usually just make one big casserole dish (14×10 “), but you can also split it into two and freeze one or both to bake later.
The layers seem like a mouthful (get it? aren't I funny?) but it's pretty easy: a little sauce, half the (cooked) ziti, ricotta cheese mixture, a little more sauce, the rest of the ziti, the rest of the sauce, sprinkle shredded cheese. No meat. Pasta perfection.
See it in action:
Not only is this great for a holiday meal or family gathering, but it also is perfect for any Meatless Monday comfort food meal. So easy and delicious!
What's your “signature dish?”
Grandma's Baked Ziti
- 1 lb box of ziti
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce (or 3 cups homemade sauce)
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 8-ounce packages shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Boil/cook ziti according to package instructions.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs and 1 package of the shredded cheese. Set aside.
- In a casserole dish (I use a 14x10 " dish, or you can use 2 8x8 " dishes), spoon a small amount of sauce to slightly cover bottom of dish.
- Spoon in half of ziti, then evenly spread the ricotta cheese mixture on top. Pour more sauce over ricotta cheese (saving about 1 cup of sauce for final layer).
- Add the rest of the ziti, and layer remaining 1 cup sauce over it. Sprinkle the other package of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve with italian bread and salad.
Like this ziti recipe? You might also like: Spinach Baked Ziti
Recommended and useful items for grandma's easy meatless baked ziti recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.