Glazed honey rolls are an extra decadent way to prepare dinner rolls for a sweet treat or special side dish for family dinner.
My mom sent me this glazed honey rolls recipe from The Frugal Girl, you can see the original recipe here.
When I first saw the pictures from this post, I wanted to make them immediately. Not that I need any more motivation to eat rolls than I already have, but glazed?! I couldn't wait.
I think these would be good with a dinner with vegetables, or even just served as dessert because hey, it's glazed honey for goodness sake.
I didn't have a cooking thermometer handy, so I let it cool for a few minutes after heating on the oven.
Ideal temperature for the yeast is 115-120 degrees Fahrenheit.
The rolls will need to rise twice, the first time for an hour ..
..and then again after separating into balls for an additional 30 minutes.
The glaze can just be heated in the microwave.
And then poured on top of the rolls before baking. I maybe could have used a smaller pan (I used a 9 inch round one for the half in the below picture) because a lot of the glaze ended up on the bottom of the pan.
Though the rolls did rise a little more in the oven.
Mmm fresh out of the oven.
For the Rolls
- 3.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, (1 packet)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk, (save the egg white for the glaze)
For the glaze
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg white
- Combine 2 cups flour and the yeast in mixer.
- On the stovetop, in a separate pot combine milk, oil, honey and salt and heat to 115 - 120 degrees F
- Add warm liquids to flour mixture, and beat until combined. Add egg and egg yolk.
- Add the rest of the flour until dough is just slightly sticky.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 3 minutes. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Separate dough into 24 balls and place in two 8x8 inch pans. Cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients in bowl. Brush or pour glaze mixture over rolls in pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Adapted from The Frugal Girl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.