Multicolored Shredded Carrot Salad with dried cranberries, dried blueberries and parsley. A beautiful and healthy side dish that is vegan and gluten free.
I have my mom to thank for this salad. This is a perfect example of how she can throw together whatever she has on hand to make a wonderful recipe. It's both amazing and frustrating that she can do this without following a recipe or instructions, because she also has a tendency to not write down what she does and can make it sometimes impossible to recreate.
Luckily with this salad, it wasn't that hard to remember because there are so few ingredients.
I'll admit that you can't really tell these were “multicolored” carrots. Once they are shredded there is not much evidence that they all were various shades of yellow and orange. Though multicolored carrots makes it sound a bit fancier, so we'll stick with that.
As long as you have a food processor, this salad can be made in 5 minutes. Or if you want to cheat a little and buy a pre-shredded package of carrots (I've seen them at Trader Joe's) then it's basically 2 minutes.
Many shredded carrot salads that I've seen include raisins, but one of the things that makes this unique is that it instead includes dried cranberries and dried blueberries. And the fresh parsley makes all the difference.
The “dressing” is olive oil + lemon juice + finishing salt. I used a fleur de sel sea salt.
- 5 large carrots (I used a multicolored variety package, shredded in a food processor. Or you can buy pre-shredded)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries and blueberries (a mix of the two), more as preferred
- handful fresh parsley sprigs
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Finishing salt (I used fleur de sel), to taste
- In a large bowl, add the carrots, dried fruit and fresh parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over carrots and toss until covered. The amount of olive oil will depend on preference and bulk of carrots - so start with a small amount and add more as needed.
- Finish with sea salt.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!