Multicolored Shredded Carrot Salad with dried cranberries, dried blueberries and parsley. A beautiful and healthy veggie side dish that is vegan and gluten free.
I have my mom to thank for this salad. This is a perfect example of how she can throw together whatever she has on hand to make a wonderful recipe. It’s both amazing and frustrating that she can do this without following a recipe or instructions, because she also has a tendency to not write down what she does and can make it sometimes impossible to recreate.
Luckily with this salad, it wasn’t that hard to remember because there are so few ingredients.
I’ll admit that you can’t really tell these were “multicolored” carrots. Once they are shredded there is not much evidence that they all were various shades of yellow and orange. Though multicolored carrots makes it sound a bit fancier, so we’ll stick with that.
As long as you have a food processor, this salad can be made in 5 minutes. Or if you want to cheat a little and buy a pre-shredded package of carrots (I’ve seen them at Trader Joe’s) then it’s basically 2 minutes.
Many shredded carrot salads that I’ve seen include raisins, but one of the things that makes this unique is that it instead includes dried cranberries and dried blueberries. And the fresh parsley makes all the difference.
The “dressing” is olive oil + lemon juice + finishing salt. I love to use a fleur de sel sea salt!
- 5 large carrots (I used a multicolored variety package), shredded in a food processor. (Or you can buy pre-shredded carrots.)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries and blueberries, (a mix of the two), more as preferred
- handful fresh parsley sprigs
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Finishing salt, (I used fleur de sel), to taste
- In a large bowl, add the carrots, dried fruit and fresh parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over carrots and toss until covered. The amount of olive oil will depend on preference and bulk of carrots - so start with a small amount and add more as needed.
- Finish with sea salt.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.