Spicy summer grits – creamy grits with jalapeno and fresh corn. This is a hit with people who don't even normally love grits!
Perhaps it's a bit presumptuous for me to say this dish will change how you feel about grits – maybe you already love grits?
I for one was not a fan until I had it served up with jalapeno and fresh corn.
It was only a couple months ago at a work outing where I had it with these ingredients for the first time, and I was so surprised how much I liked it that I set out to experiment with the recipe.
If you're not a fan of spicy, you can totally leave the jalapeno out..That might be more your thing to only add a tiny amount or exclude it all together.
Alternatively, you can leave in the seeds and for an extra spicy version, or just use the whole jalapeno!
This is a good article on how to seed and cut a jalapeno if you don't know how.
I hesitate to call this summer grits because it's closing in on the end of the season, and I really want you to eat this all year long. K?
The “summer” comes from the fresh corn, which is added just a few minutes before the grits are finished cooking so that they stay crisp and crunchy. Though if you don't have a fresh cob, you could use frozen!
Tell me – how do you feel about grits?
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup grits
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 ear corn, (about 3/4 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, saute the butter and onion over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add jalapeno and saute another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add grits, water, half and half and milk and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream cheese and fresh corn, stirring for another couple minutes until the cream cheese melts.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper and serve.
See this article about seeding jalapenos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.