This Smashed Avocado and Chickpea Salad Sandwich is an easy vegan recipe to throw together for a healthy lunch or dinner with only 5 main ingredients (plus bread, or you can skip bread and keep it as a salad). Also a great alternative to plain avocado toast!
If you like chickpeas and avocado, you're going to love this sandwich.
I happen to love both, so this is going to be on constant rotation for meal planning now.
It's SUPER simple!
Get a can of chickpeas, an avocado, half a lemon and salt.
Then you're going to mash it all together!
Sometimes the chickpeas are harder to mash down but the idea is more to make sure the avocado is mashed.
Mix in cilantro (try with parsley if you hate cilantro).
Personally I think the crunch factor is really important in a mashed salad like this, so I highly recommend adding red onion.
You could also use celery for crunchiness if you're not a fan of the onion, or even vegan bacon would be good with this!
You can ditch the bread altogether if you want to eat it now, or choose to wrap in some lettuce. Or even use as a dip.
Optional (but delicious toppings) include tomato slices, baby spinach, or more red onion.
I've also tried it with a dash of turmeric on top for extra health benefits! (Or try it with this turmeric drink before eating!)
Smashed Avocado and Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 15 oz. chickpeas (1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion (more for serving as desired)
- sea salt to taste
- sandwich bread
- tomato slices for serving
- In a medium bowl, smash rinsed chickpeas and avocado with a potato masher or fork.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and stir.
- Mix in chopped cilantro and red onion.
- Add salt to taste and spread on sandwich bread and tomato slices as desired.
- Store any leftovers in fridge for 2-3 days!
Recommended and useful items for this smashed avocado and chickpea salad sandwich:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.