Roasted Carrot and Cauliflower Soup. 5 main ingredients make this healthy, gluten-free, and vegan (without the optional parmesan).
This soup came into existence for two reasons.
I had carrots.
and I had cauliflower.
An easy way to use up veggies is to turn them into a soup!
I've never roasted my vegetables before blending it into a soup, so I wanted to try it.
Somehow though, all my soups are orange. What can I say, I like orange foods – butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots.
Sometimes I'm surprised I don't turn orange myself.
This soup is 5 main ingredients. I define a main ingredients something that's not spices, olive oil, or water. So we've got cauliflower, carrots, garlic, onion, and vegetable broth. Basically I learned you can make any kind of soup with your choice of veggie(s), + onion and broth. Easy peasy.
Trader Joe's got me again with the ready-made riced cauliflower, but you can use cauliflower florets too. Multicolored carrots are my jam but use whatever you've got. Make sure to peel them if they're not organic.
Drizzle with olive oil and roast them up. I forgot to add the onion before roasting for these pictures, so you can totally add it afterwards to the stockpot instead if you do that too. But roasting everything (garlic + onion with the veggies) is the goal.
Then the roasted veggies just go in a stockpot with the liquids. I used an entire container of (surprise, Trader Joe's) organic vegetable broth, which is 4 cups. And about 2 cups water. Bring to a quick low boil for a few minutes, then turn the heat off or on low so you can blend.
Use an immersion blender until everything is all blended. Then you can decide if you want to add more water or not.
It's rare I can resist adding cheese of some kind, so I sprinkled a little parmesan on my first serving. But without it, it's still delicious (and vegan)!
- 2 lbs. organic carrots, chopped
- 1 lb. cauliflower florets (or riced cauliflower)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, or more depending on desired consistency
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a baking sheet, spread out chopped carrots, cauliflower, garlic and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss to cover. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast veggies for about 40-45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- In a large stock pot, add roasted veggies and vegetable broth and water. Bring to a low boil, then turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until desired consistency is reached. Add more water or broth if needed.
- Serve with optional parmesan cheese or as is.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.