The BEST EVER guacamole recipe that’s a little spicy, full of flavor and naturally vegan and gluten-free. Includes tips on how to make it your own if your taste buds can’t handle cilantro or spicy.
Obviously this is subjective, but I’m declaring this guacamole the best. Ever.
I’ve eaten a lot of guacamole in my lifetime. Everybody has their own way of making it. The most basic guacamole you can make is mashed avocados with a little bit of salt and lime juice. I’ve even met people who don’t use lime juice, but they are MISSING OUT.
I’ll admit I’ve made the above poor-mans guacamole in desperate times. But the first time I made it with onion + tomato I knew it would be hard to go back.
Now the one thing I know will cause a debate is using fresh cilantro. I’ve heard different statistics, but it appears about 10% of the population absolutely hates cilantro. My dear friend Lauren (hi Lauren!) is one of these people. Apparently to her and one out of every ten of your friends thinks cilantro tastes like soap.
It’s actually a genetic mutation. Or I guess genetic variant is the better word. If you want to read some science-y explanation about it you can read about it here.
Me? I love the flavor that fresh cilantro gives this guacamole. BUT I also tried it without, so I know that it still has a ton of flavor for those of you who want to leave it out.
I also add some diced jalapeno in for a little heat. Optional if you don’t like it spicy, but you know I can’t resist.
Personally without the cilantro and jalapeno I liked to add a dash of garlic salt (obviously completely different things but it added an extra spice).
So the “core” ingredients here are ripe avocado, lime juice, white onion (red onion would work as well), tomato, cumin, salt. Jalapeno + cilantro are optional but highly recommended if your taste buds can handle it.
Use it as a dip, slather on some enchiladas (recipe coming soon!) or just eat by the spoonful.
I think it tastes best right away, which is the only reason why I’m not suggesting you 10x the recipe. But if you do have leftovers or need to make it a little ahead of time, it keeps a couple days in the fridge. (Heads up though that it may turn a little brown, even with the lime juice.)
PRO TIP: If you add a little bit of avocado oil, you’ll not only get the nutritional benefits but it will add to the texture.
Recommended and useful items for this BEST EVER guacamole recipe:
- 2 large ripe avocados (3/4 to 1 cup once mashed)
- 1 lime , juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup diced white onion (about 1/2 a medium onion - you may prefer a red onion, but I like to use white)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato (about 1/2 a large tomato)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro , finely chopped (about 1.5 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Add avocados and lime juice to small bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in diced white onion, chopped tomato, cilantro and jalapeno if using. Add cumin and salt to taste and combine.
- Best served fresh but can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for a couple days.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!