This cucumber avocado farro salad with miso vinaigrette dressing is full of greens and veggies! Can be eaten by itself (for gluten-free) or over a bed of farro for a heartier meal. Either way is a delicious vegan dish that is healthy and full of flavor!
This recipe was adapted from a meal box from Home Chef, check out the review my clicking here to get a discount in trying out the service for yourself!
So. Let’s talk meal prep.
This farro salad is actually a recipe that I received in a box from one of those delivery services, Home Chef. This is not sponsored (nor is this next post where I’ll break the whole process down), but feedback from you guys tells me that a big challenge in the kitchen is finding time to plan and prep meals. So in addition to continuing to give you easy recipes, I thought it might be fun to try out some of these meal prep services to get some recipe inspo and mix it up.
But more on that next time.
I tell you this is from Home Chef mostly because the dressing includes miso paste – which is an ingredient I don’t normally keep in the kitchen. It also includes a little bit of ginger, and it was more like a bottled ginger than what you’d get from grating fresh.
If you also don’t keep miso paste in the kitchen, the best miso paste substitute I’ve read about would be tahini + salt. The recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon so just salt to your taste.
Besides that piece, this salad was just too good not to share. I did add more Persian cucumber (the small kinds) than they gave me, but other than that the flavors all meld together very nicely. They call it a “detox salad” so it must be pretty good for you too.
It all comes together in about 20 minutes, and even quicker if you decide to forgo the farro. The vegetables + dressing make a lovely plant-based meal all by themselves.
Get every last drop of that dressing!
The farro adds protein and fiber, among other nutrients – but comes from wheat so is not gluten-free. The rest of the salad is though.
- 3/4 cup farro (semi-pearled)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 4 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped (both green and white parts)
- 2 oz baby arugula
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 oz rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (a substitute if needed can be tahini + salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the farro and combine with water in stove pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until tender for about 20 minutes. Drain excess water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by combining chopped cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and green onions. Toss together with arugula in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all remaining ingredients (olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, miso paste and salt) together in a small bowl.
- Serve the meal by plating a bed of farro, add salad greens and pour dressing on top. Top off with freshly grated pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Home Chef
Serves 2-4, nutrition facts based on 4 servings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 441mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.
Recommended and useful items for this cucumber avocado farro salad recipe:
(As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.)