Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse. A sweet and healthy dessert that uses avocado instead of cream.
The first time I heard about vegan mousse, I was confused. When I found out it was made from avocados, I was really confused.
But when I started to see it out in some of my favorite restaurants instead of just on the interwebs, I figured there had to be something to it.
It's usually paired with a coconut whipped cream (whipped cream made out of coconut milk). I've made several flavors of this vegan whipped cream already, and the peanut butter flavor seemed like the best choice to try with this chocolate mousse.
I've made several versions of this over the years. Even tried to trick people into eating it before telling them it had avocados. But there was one particular batch that tasted (and smelled) so much like avocado that it was a dead giveaway.
Don't worry though, I don't try to trick you guys. Especially with vegan foods that have seemingly weird substitutions, like this vegan cookie dough. I got you.
If you happen to be one of my lucky taste-testers, i.e. my friends, #sorrynotsorry. Take one for the team.
With this recipe, I think I finally got a good balance. The chocolate + peanut butter is of course the best flavor combination ever created, and the texture was smooth and creamy.
The peanut butter whipped cream is also pretty sweet, so take that into consideration when deciding how much maple syrup to use in the mousse!
I recommend putting in the maple syrup/sweetener last to the chocolate mixture, so you can adjust sweetness as desired.
I layered the chocolate mousse with the peanut butter whipped cream as sort of a parfait, and you could even mix it all together if you want.
Will you try this vegan chocolate peanut butter mousse? Show me on instagram with #trialandeater if you do! I love to see your creations.
Recommended and useful items for this vegan chocolate peanut butter mousse recipe:
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips), melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or other sweetener), more if extra sweetness is needed
- 1 cup peanut butter whipped cream <--see post for recipe
- In a mixing bowl or blender, combine avocados, melted chocolate chips, cacao powder, almond milk, vanilla and salt.
- Manually stir in maple syrup until desired sweetness is reached.
- Top chocolate mousse with the peanut butter whipped cream, or mix together completely if desired.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!