Quick and easy pita pizza recipe that you can make in the oven, microwave, or even on the grill! Fast lunch or dinner option that is completely customizable and faster than delivery.
BACK with another quick and easy snack or light meal option for one. Or two. Make as many as you want.
Like many others, pizza is one of my favorite food groups. So when you don't have time to make your own pizza dough but still have a hankering, what's a gal to do?
Enter: pita bread pizza. Yet another way to have your pita and eat it too. Isn't that how the saying goes?
The basics of this are super simple: pita bread (whole wheat if you prefer), tomato sauce (or even just a little olive oil), mozzarella cheese, choice of toppings. Sounds like a pizza, no?
Pita bread pizza topping options:
- spinach/greens <–I went with arugula here.
- really any kind of veggie
- pineapple <- I know some of you don't think this should be a real pizza topping but it's actually my fav.
- HERBS: I like Italian blend, oregano or basil (fresh or dried)
Keep in mind the pita isn't strong enough to hold too many toppings, so if you want to go crazy you might be better off making two. 🙂
Cooking options for pita pizza:
- Microwave: The fastest option – about 1 minute or until cheese melts. This way has the tendency to be a little soggier though.
- Oven: 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until cheese melts. <–my preferred method.
- Grill: 5 minutes on a lightly oiled grill grate or until cheese melts.
How do you eat a pita pizza?
You can totally cut it like a normal pizza, but I like to just pick up the whole thing and eat it like one big slice!
What will you put on YOUR pita pizza?
- 1 piece pita bread (whole-wheat if desired)
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce (or replace with light brushing of olive oil)
- handful baby arugula
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- sprinkle of herbs (I like Italian blend or basil)
- 5 cherry tomatoes , optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place pita bread on a baking sheet or cast iron pan. Top with sauce, arugula, and cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with desired herbs and top with tomatoes (if using). Enjoy!
Recommended and useful items for this pita pizza recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.