Nana's Spanish Rice recipe – a super easy, one pan / one pot side dish that takes only minutes to throw together. No need to pre-cook the rice! Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Before I became a foodie, I had a really hard time eating out at restaurants – especially other cuisines.
I was afraid to try new things in case I didn't like them. So once I was familiar with a menu and found something I liked, I would order that every single time.
(Extreme example: I would order cereal at Cracker Barrel. Every. Time. I was young and stubborn!)
Mexican food is my mother's favorite so, before I learned what else I could enjoy, I stuck to basic sides like beans and rice.
Spanish rice (or more correctly, “red rice” since Spanish rice from Spain is actually yellow) turned into a Mexican food staple for me.
My grandma would also make a version of it that was really good! And I just learned that she got it from her mom, my Nana.
But the best part is? This is a one-pan or one-pot recipe!
Here's what you need:
- Chopped onion
- Chopped celery
- Chopped bell pepper (any color, I happened to only have yellow)
- Diced tomatoes
- Long-grain white rice
- a little bit of oil and a dash of sugar
All you have to do is mix all the ingredients together in a casserole pan, cover and bake for about 45 minutes – 1 hour!
Covering is important so it doesn't get too dry.
PRO TIP: If you feel like adding an extra step, you could saute the onion, celery and bell pepper for a few minutes before mixing it in to add some flavor.
But we're keeping it easy today.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I use basmati rice)
- 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use white onion, could also use red)
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper, any color
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a casserole dish (13x9) or medium stove pot, add in all ingredients and mix together.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (stirring occasionally if possible) until rice is cooked and tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.