Creamy homemade macaroni and cheese with corn kernels. Comfort food at its finest using both heavy cream and cream cheese but with an added benefit of a little bit of veggies!
Sometimes you just need a big bowl of comfort, am I right?
This macaroni and cheese is definitely one of those recipes that doesn't cut corners on the cheesy goodness. It tries to redeem itself just a little bit by adding in a vegetable.
How about some corn?
Whether you use fresh corn, canned corn, or even frozen corn you'll get a nice crunch with each creamy bite.
Note if you use frozen corn, you don't want to add it cold to the pasta – rinse with warm water first.
One cup of corn is used for this recipe but you can always increase the amount or sprinkle a little more on top.
The cheese sauce uses 3 kinds of cheeses: shredded sharp cheddar for the flavor, smooth cream cheese for the texture, and a bit of shredded mozzarella to balance it out.
You could even make this into a casserole by pouring it all into a casserole dish and top with 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs. Then bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or so until crispy on top.
If you're looking for a complementary side dish for this macaroni and cheese, this would go great with a soup like butternut squash soup, a salad like this fall quinoa salad or another vegetable side dish, like mushrooms: sautéed and caramelized, stuffed, or made into palmiers.
Other pasta recipes with veggies you might want to check out:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot: melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour for a couple minutes until thickened. Add heavy cream and stir for a couple more minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to milk mixture, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture over the drained pasta and mix until evenly coated.
- Top with corn kernels and stir.
- Finish with salt and pepper and serve warm.
*If using canned corn, drain and rinse kernels first. If using frozen corn kernels, rinse with warm water and check to make sure it's warm enough before putting in the pasta.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1059Total Fat: 85gSaturated Fat: 51gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 737mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.