Butternut squash apple soup. Delicious autumn flavors blended together make this vegan soup a crowd-pleasing appetizer.
Like many things, I used to think I didn't like soup. I'm not sure exactly how I could declare that for such a broad category, but it was mostly because it wasn't “filling enough” (i.e. I felt deprived of carbs).
I liked a certain broccoli soup my grandma made, and potato soup (only with potato chunks). And that was about it.
But to my surprise, I ate this soup (and only this soup) for lunch the other day. And I wasn't even sad about it. Growth.
This recipe was born for the same reason most of the ones here are. I had a whole lot of apples and a whole bag of butternut squash (pre-cut – my favorite kind!) that I didn't know what to do with.
Since I really was swimming in apples, I also made a batch of homemade apple cider thinking that I would put some of that in the soup, but it was so good without the cider that I didn't even add it.
Basically, if you like butternut squash then you'll like this soup.
I ate it hot and I ate it cold and it was delicious both ways.
What's your favorite kind of soup?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, (I used a medium yellow curry powder)
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 small apples, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- optional extra apple slices for serving
- In a large pot, add olive oil, chopped onion, celery and curry powder and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add in squash, apples, broth and water, reduce heat slightly to medium-low and cook for 20-30 minutes until fruit is tender.
- Blend until smooth using a immersion blender (or let cool slightly and carefully blend in a regular blender).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or refrigerate for later. Still tastes delicious when it is served cold!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.