This Spinach Ricotta Crescent Wrap makes a great dinner for two or three, or for serving as an appetizer! Like a calzone wrapped with crescent dough, filled with veggies and flavor.
Click here to save this spinach ricotta wrap recipe on Pinterest!
One of my favorite dinner recipes is the broccoli crescent wrap that was adapted from one my grandma used to make.
A reader recently commented asking how it would taste with spinach instead of broccoli, which prompted me to give it a try!
The original recipe uses cottage cheese (subbed for mayo) but I thought ricotta would go a little better with spinach. So it kind of turned into a calzone without the sauce.
Just one extra step is required, to saute the spinach with a bell pepper (I used red for the color).
Then you can save a mixing bowl and just dump the ricotta, cheese and herbs into the skillet with the vegetables!
Italian seasoning works great, other options include but aren't limited to basil, oregano, or dill (like the broccoli wrap).
Literally the hardest part of this recipe is opening the crescent roll can (does anybody else hate the anticipation waiting for the “pop!”?).
Or maybe cooking the spinach. Remember how much spinach cooks down, so you probably need to add to the skillet in stages so it doesn't overflow.
After unrolling the crescent dough, press together the creases and spread the spinach mixture on top.
Then braid like so.
5 minute prep time, under 30 minute bake time, dinner is served.
Alternatively, you can make an appetizer crescent ring by separating the dough and arrange triangles so that the short sides of triangles form a small circle in the middle. Fill each triangle and roll it up from the point to the center. (This method works best when doubling the recipe.)
Veggies, protein, carbs!
My kind of balanced meal.
Spinach Ricotta Crescent Wrap
- 1 (8 oz.) package crescent rolls
- 1 tablespoon oil (extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil are my go-to's)
- 1 bell pepper , chopped (I used red)
- 1 (6 oz.) package fresh baby spinach (roughly 4 packed cups)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian blend)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or your choice of basil, oregano, parsley, or dill)
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a baking sheet (sprayed with oil or lined with parchment paper), roll out crescent dough flat and press edges together to make a sheet.
- In a medium cast iron skillet or saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add spinach a cup or so at a time, cooking down in stages (should only take a couple minutes). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Mix in ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Pour spinach mixture over crescent dough in an even layer. Braid the crescent dough around the spinach mixture.
- Bake at 350°F. for 25-30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
Recommended and useful items for this spinach ricotta crescent wrap recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.