Broccoli crescent wrap – broccoli and cheese goodness all wrapped up in crescent roll dough. Easy, quick vegetarian dinner, made healthy by swapping out the mayonnaise!
My grandma makes a lot of good recipes.
If you've made her baked ziti you know what I'm talking about.
There's this one that I remember fondly, something about broccoli and a whole bunch of cheese, all wrapped up tightly in dough. It was perfectly filling and deliciously simple.
I asked her recently for the recipe, knowing that I would have to make it vegetarian since the original recipe calls for chicken. I waited for a bit. And a little bit more. Then I really started to crave broccoli.
(Hey grandma, you never sent me the recipe. It's okay, I still love you lots.)
Anyway, I found what appeared to be a similar recipe for the broccoli braid.
In addition to leaving out the chicken of this recipe, I also decided to swap out the mayonnaise for cottage cheese. I used to be really skeptical of cottage cheese, mainly because people ate it as a diet food, and who likes that?
And it's called cottage. cheese. And it's, like, chunky and stuff.
However, it's grown on me due to its deliciousness and also high protein factor (and low fat). So, you're like, welcome.
I'm once again a bad friend because I made this for someone who I forgot a.) doesn't like broccoli, and b.) doesn't like green pepper.
Though maybe that makes it more of a success because she actually ate it?
I thought of swapping out tofu or some other protein for the chicken, but that just didn't seem to fit.
Broccoli and cheese seems just fine on its own, don't you think?
- 1 (8 oz.) package crescent rolls
- 1 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 green bell pepper (roughly 1/2 cup, chopped)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a baking sheet, roll out crescent dough flat and press edges together to make a sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix broccoli, green pepper, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese together. Add in salt and dill, to taste.
- Pour broccoli and cheese mixture on crescent dough.
- Braid the crescent roll around the broccoli mixture
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.