Summer Berry Stuffed French Toast Casserole Bake. A little cream cheese, fruit jam, strawberries and blueberries and topped with more berries! Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and/or maple syrup if desired. A fairly healthy and balanced breakfast or brunch!
Brunch is my favorite.
When I go out to eat for brunch, it is VERY hard for me to not order french toast if it is on the menu. Especially stuffed french toast.
So most of the time, I get the french toast. #yolo
Though many times, I end up having a sugar crash soon after or feel like I just ate a whole weeks worth of calories.
While french toast may still count as an indulgence, I consider this a healthier version using almond milk, a little less cream cheese, and berries. Lots of berries.
Because of the jam and cream cheese, I didn't even feel the need to add maple syrup!
And while it doesn't need added sugar, I sprinkled a tablespoon on top for the look of it.
Using whipped cream cheese helps easily spread over the bread. Add fresh berries + berry jam.
This would be a great 4th of July recipe, which I realized a little too late. Red white and blue!
Now THIS is a stuffed french toast where I'll take seconds!
Summer Berry Stuffed French Toast Casserole Bake
- 1 large loaf brioche bread (or challah bread or similar), cut into 12 thick slices
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I used vanilla almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup fruit jam or jelly
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar for topping, optional
- maple syrup for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a large casserole dish (9x13) with oil or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whip together eggs, milk and vanilla. One at a time, dip 6 of the bread slices in the egg mixture to coat both sides, and place on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add the cream cheese to the top of the bread slices and cover evenly.
- Evenly distribute the jam or jelly on top of the cream cheese. Add half the fruit fruit (1 and 1/2 cups) on top of the jam.
- Dip the rest of the bread slices in the egg mixture and layer on top to make sandwiches. (If there is any milk/egg mixture remaining, you can pour it on top of the bread.)
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Baking time will depend on the thickness of your bread slices!
- Remove from oven and top remaining fresh fruit. Serve warm with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup on top. Enjoy!
Recommended and useful items for this summer berry stuffed french toast casserole bake recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!