Spinach Mozzarella Pizza Rolls – a vegetarian take on this fun and simple pizza bite roll-up snack. Great for appetizers, dinners, and game time snacks!
Pizza is pretty much a staple in my house.
It's constantly in the rotation.
And to be real, some weeks it's the entire rotation.
Since it's pretty easy to make my own pizza dough and Trader Joe's always has refrigerated AND frozen dough on hand, it's a no-brainer for those days that I'm uninspired and needing comfort food.
So when I heard about pizza rolls I knew it was right up my alley. I realize pizza rolls have been a thing for a very long time (at least the frozen kind has been sold since 1951, according to wikipedia) so I didn't actually JUST hear about them, but go with me here.
Most of the time they are pepperoni style. We're trying a spinach version today.
You basically make a pizza. Then roll it up. And slice it. Bake it. Maybe share it.
The first time I made these pizza rolls, it was VERY messy.
Let's be honest though, the second time was pretty messy too.
I learned a few things in the process. For one, depending on what dough you use (or how your homemade version turns out), it could end up being sticky. We don't want it to be sticky! It will stick to the surface and when it's time to roll it up, it won't cooperate and you will probably end up with a lot of holes in your dough. So if your dough is sticky, make sure you have extra flour on hand to sprinkle your surface and ball of dough with.
For two, the dough is easier to roll up and slice when it's cold. If it's not rolling up tight, put it in the fridge for a few minutes and that should make it firmer. It helps to roll it out on a cutting board so that you can transport it easily.
For three, don't overstuff! The spinach can be a bit bulky, so it helped me to tear the spinach leaves into smaller pieces for a more compact roll.
And really, even if it ends up messy after slicing – cover it with more cheese! Nobody will know the difference.
Cheese solves everything.
Recommended and useful items for this spinach mozzarella pizza rolls recipe:
Spinach Mozzarella Pizza Rolls
- 1 lb. homemade pizza dough (or store-bought), +extra flour for sprinkling surface, if dough is sticky
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (plus extra for dipping, if desired)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves (roughly), torn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (save 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a floured cutting board or other surface, roll out pizza dough in thin layer, at least 8x12 inch.
- Cover dough with sauce, torn spinach, 1 cup of cheese, and seasoning, making sure to leave 1 inch of room around edges.
- Starting from one of the long edges, roll dough tightly into a log.
- Slice into approximately 1 inch pieces.
- Arrange pizza slices on a greased 9-inch baking pan or cookie sheet. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and dough is lightly browned.
- Serve hot, with optional warmed marinara sauce as dipper.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!