Sweet and spicy oven-baked spinach nachos served up in a cast iron skillet. A great party snack, meal for 2 (or 1!) that has a little extra nutrition with greens.
No lie, I've made some version of this at least 10 times in the past couple weeks.
I don't even consider myself a chip person, but I found a tortilla chip that I like (organic white corn at Trader Joe's for the win!) and I can't. stop. eating. them.
At some point I was thinking these nachos needed to be a little healthier, so I threw on some spinach. I'm not sure these count as “healthy” but at least a “healthier” comfort food.
With avocado, my favorite peach salsa, sweet chili sauce and sriracha it became a combo I haven't been able to resist lately!
The reason I've needed these so many times in the last couple weeks?
My computer died which meant I couldn't work, which led to spending money on a new one, missed some deadlines in the meantime, and started to get sick. Those are just a few reasons I've needed comfort food lately.
Luckily I never got a full-blown cold, I had a current computer backup and I was able to get deadline extensions.
And, I had these nachos.
After all my versions, I found I like a double decker version the best (two layers of chips, salsa and cheese) with adding spinach before the last layer of cheese.
My skillet is 8 inches wide and 2 inches deep, so use one at least that size. Not a cast iron griddle (without the sides), even though I sometimes accidentally call that a skillet.
AND you can totally make these party nachos with a bigger skillet and adjusting the measurements as needed.
Sweet chili sauce combined with sriracha sauce is one of my favorite toppings to give it that sweet and spicy kick. (Remember these?)
You can add it before or after baking. Sometimes I do both!
Then you pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes or until that cheese is melted.
Add avocado slices and it's ready to devour.
Oven-baked Skillet Spinach Nachos
- 4 oz. tortilla chips (roughly 4 handfuls)
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa (I like peach salsa)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce or as desired
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce or as desired
- 1 avocado sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a cast iron skillet*, cover the bottom of the pan with about half the tortilla chips (about 2 handfuls). Top with 1/4 cup of the salsa, and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Add another layer with the remaining chips and salsa. Top with the baby spinach and carefully add remaining (3/4 cup) cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sriracha sauce and sweet chili sauce as desired. Add avocado slices and serve!
Recommended and useful items for this skillet spinach nachos recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!