Pumpkin Chickpea Curry with Kale, served with rice or quinoa. It’s a hearty vegan and gluten-free meal perfect for the colder months!
My first pumpkin recipe of the year!
I waited until October, my favorite month.
Originally this was going to be a pumpkin chickpea stew, but I decided to go the curry route by adding coconut milk and curry powder.
To me, the ingredient list seems a little longer than my usual recipe, but it’s not complicated. It just means there is plenty of flavor, and protein with the chickpeas!
Kale was a last minute add in an attempt to get some greens in there. You could also use spinach if you’re one who doesn’t like kale.
I’ve been experimenting with the order of ingredients lately in one-pot meals like this. I would love to just add everything at once like a slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe (which you can totally do! Just mix in the coconut milk and greens at the very end.) but it turns out it can matter when spices and certain foods are added.
If you add the spices to the onion, it gives them more of a chance to be integrated in to the whole dish. Then you can still add more at the end if you need to.
Also tomato paste – most times I just mix this in with liquids. But I learned a chef’s secret is to add it in at the beginning of cooking to get more flavor from it, the same as with spices.
You can serve this pumpkin chickpea curry on it’s own or with quinoa (to keep it gluten-free) or rice.
Do you like savory pumpkin meals? Try this Cheddar Pumpkin Mac and Cheese too!
Pumpkin Chickpea Curry with Kale
Pumpkin Chickpea Curry with Kale, served with rice or quinoa. It's a hearty vegan and gluten-free meal perfect for the colder months!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional for spice)
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15-oz.) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 (13-oz.) can coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded kale (you could also use spinach)
- 1 lemon
- cooked rice or quinoa, for serving
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in carrot and jalapeno (if using) and cook until slightly softened, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste, curry powder and cumin and stir for 1 minute.
- Add in chickpeas, pumpkin, and broth and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in coconut milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until kale is slightly wilted.
- Top with lemon juice, salt and pepper and add more spices if needed. Serve warm with quinoa or rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.
Sunday 8th of October 2017
I love pumpkin and kale. Very excited to try this one.
Sunday 8th of October 2017
I hope you like it Meg!