Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing. Perfect for Halloween or a Fall sweet treat!
I bought this pumpkin cake pan on a whim and the most logical thing to make in it is, obviously, pumpkin cake.
Cake is actually not one of my favorite things, and it probably has a lot to do with icing. I DO however tend to like cream cheese icing, so that seemed like the perfect topping.
When I was thinking of how to make it orange, my mind first went to turmeric. Though I don't really think that belongs in a sweet pumpkin cake, do you?
Then I realized you can just put in some pumpkin puree to the icing!
Note that the pumpkin puree does make it a little softer and different consistency than regular cream cheese icing.
If you don't want to keep adding more powdered sugar to thicken, try refrigerating for a bit before attempting to spread it on the cake.
Clearly my cake decorating skills need some work.
Believe it or not, I took a cake decorating class with my mom when I was in high school. If only I had known one day I'd have this food blog and actually be icing a cake that needed to look pretty I might have paid more attention.
If you choose to skip the icing, it's really just pumpkin bread.
I did use a different recipe than this pumpkin bread, but like in that one you can replace the oil here with applesauce if you want to lighten it up a bit. Also there is not nearly as much sugar this time in the actual cake part – but the icing is a different story.
Since I'm not a huge frosting/icing person, I halved the proportion of a normal recipe. If you really like your icing, you'll want to double that part.
Any other suggestions for what I can make in this cake pan? Leave them in the comments!
Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing
For the pumpkin cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (reserve 2 tablespoons for icing)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil, can also replace with applesauce)
For the pumpkin cream cheese icing (*see notes):
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (reserved from above)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar , more as needed
For the pumpkin cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar and oil.
- Gradually add in flour mixture to pumpkin mixture until combined.
- Spray a cake pan (I used a 11x10 inch pan) and add in cake batter.
- Bake at 350°F. for about 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
For the icing:
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Stir in the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. If icing seems too soft, you can add in more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time to thicken. (Note that refrigerating this icing for 20-30 minutes will also help to thicken.)
- Let cake cool completely before adding the icing.
Recommended and useful items for this pumpkin cake with pumpkin cream cheese icing recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!