Peppermint eggnog hot chocolate using homemade (cooked) eggnog. It's the perfect holiday drink!
I originally made this recipe because of a (now defunct) event called Foodie Extravaganza.
One ingredient was picked each month, and all participating bloggers would make a recipe around that ingredient. The first time I heard about it, the ingredient was peanut butter so I was allll over those recipes.
The month I decided to participate, December's ingredient was eggnog.
I decided on hot chocolate because I had a ton of cacao powder in the pantry. It may be because I ordered this organic cacao powder forgetting that I had just ordered another 1 pound bag the day before.
Amazon makes it too easy, I forget when I click through sometimes!
I've been wanting to buy cacao powder for a while after reading about the benefits of cacao vs cocoa. I always thought they were the same (chocolate is good for you, right?) but it turns out cacao is less processed than cocoa and therefore has more nutrients. The two can be used interchangeably in recipes though, so you can use cocoa powder if you don't have cacao!
My homemade eggnog already had enough sugar in it, but you may need to add some in depending on what eggnog you use.
The peppermint extract is optional but makes it feel more “wintery” to me. Remember with peppermint extract, a little goes a long way!
Add some marshmallow cream to top it off and drink up!
Recommended and useful items for this peppermint eggnog hot chocolate recipe:
Peppermint eggnog hot chocolate
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract or substitute vanilla extract
- sugar to taste (depending on the kind of eggnog you use), if needed
- marshmallow creme , for serving
- In a medium saucepan, add water, eggnog, and cacao powder. Whisk together on medium heat until combined and heated through.
- Add sugar if needed (may not be needed depending on the sweetness of your eggnog). Stir until combined.
- Remove from heat. Add peppermint extract. Pour into mug and top with marshmallow cream.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!