Looking for a fun twist on a grilled cheese sandwich? Try this delicious version with juicy blackberries and gooey brie cheese for a unique sweet and savory combo.
On the heels of those lavender cookies, I bring you another blackberry treat.
To think, I used to not like blackberries!
This recipe came to be because I saw this BLUEberry brie grilled cheese.
(That one actually uses blueberry pie filling instead of simply the fruit.)
And we all know I like to put fruit in everything. Why not a sandwich?
So I swapped the blueberries for blackberries, and had the perfect amount of brie to use up!
It was meant to be.
This recipe is not exactly one of the healthier ones, but it’s comfort food at its finest.
Plus a serving of fruit counts for something, right?
Brie is a favorite of mine for grilled cheeses (as evidenced in this “grown up” version).
You can keep it simple and just use blackberries and brie cheese, or you can get fancy and drizzle a little honey and/or cinnamon on for a little extra sweetness.
The recipe measurements are just a guideline, go ahead and stuff that sandwich to your hearts content!
Have you ever added blackberries or fruit to your grilled cheese?
Tell me in the comments!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices thick sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup blackberries, sliced lengthwise
- 4 ounces brie cheese, rind removed
- drizzle of honey, optional
- sprinkle of cinnamon, optional
- Butter both sides of sandwich bread and place on a warmed cast iron skillet or griddle (or similar). Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, and then flip each slice.
- Place brie cheese and blackberry slices on one piece of bread (the cooked side). Option to drizzle with honey and/or sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Place the other piece of bread on top of blackberries (browned side down). Cook until cheese is melted and both sides of sandwich are lightly browned, flipping as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 849Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 1202mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 7gSugar: 25gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.