Skinny chocolate brownies made with applesauce and Greek yogurt and are almost cupcake-like in texture. These healthy (or at least healthier) brownies make for a great guilt-free dessert. Skinny and chocolate don’t normally go in the same sentence, do they?
But anything that helps convince me I can eat chocolate without having to run for 500 hours just to burn it off is a keeper.
(Just kidding. I don’t run.)
I made these brownies for my mom’s birthday. Hoping she wouldn’t be offended but knowing that she is trying to eat healthier and lighter these days, I wanted to make her a dessert that she wouldn’t feel guilty about eating.
Enter skinny chocolate brownies. I adapted from this recipe at Yummy Healthy Easy, and the name of that blog explains this recipe perfectly. Jen was already using Greek Yogurt and applesauce (two of my favorite healthy ingredients to swap out for oil and butter, like I do in this and this), and I swapped out the canola oil for coconut oil. Let’s go over what these brownies are not.
They are not fudgy, decadant, so-rich-you’ll-fall-over-and-not-be-able-to-get-up brownies.
What they ARE – light, chewy brownies with a cupcake/sponge-like texture, and surprisingly satisfying. (I didn’t intend for the alliteration there guys, it just happened.) My mom ate them all up happily. She told me so. Let me know if you make these skinny chocolate brownies by sharing your pics with me on instagram! Be sure to tag it with #trialandeater so I can find your creations.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the brown sugar, applesauce, and Greek yogurt to the flour mixture and stir.
- Add in the eggs and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- Line a 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper (or spray the baking dish with oil) and pour in the brownie batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
adapted from Yummy Healthy Easy
Like this recipe? Be sure to sign up for email updates so you never miss a post!