A citrusy and tasty vegetable side dish – Stir-fried Lemon Sesame Sugar Snap Peas! Serve with a meal as a side, eat alone for a sweet tangy snack, or add to pasta and salads. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Ever had sugar snap peas?
This spring-time vegetable can be eaten whole, pod included (unlike say, edamame) and they are a sweet and crunchy snack all on their own.
But you can also stir-fry them!
Being that this was the first time I had cooked with them myself, I of course turned to my trusted Flavor Bible for ideas.
Sugar Snap Peas go great with oils (especially sesame and olive), lemons, mint and mushrooms. Lemon and sesame seemed like a good idea to try, especially seeing how I had a bunch of sesame seeds in my pantry.
Normally I don't have plain sesame oil on hand, just toasted. Toasted has a pretty strong flavor so I was a little apprehensive about stir-frying with it, so I went with extra virgin olive oil.
But you can try the stir-fry with plain sesame oil if you have some!
Snap peas are very delicate so you don't want to cook them too long – a few minutes max.
Top with lemon juice, sesame seeds, and lemon zest if you're feeling zesty.
And if you want an extra dimension of flavor – you can top it with (a small amount of) that TOASTED sesame oil! A little goes a long way.
ALSO: They go great with soba noodles.
Bonus points for sugar snap peas: they have 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber for each 1-cup serving!
How do you eat snap peas?
Lemon Sesame Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or plain sesame oil)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas (trimming the stems if necessary)
- 1/2 organic lemon , juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for serving
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar snap peas and lightly cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat.
- Top with lemon juice, lemon zest, sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil (if using).
- Serve as a side, on top of a salad or pasta! (Check out the recipe with soba noodles too!)
Recommended and useful items for this lemon sesame sugar snap peas recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.