Cherry peach crumb bars – perfectly balanced with just the right amount of fruit and just the right amount of crust! Summertime fruit dessert that will surely be a crowd pleaser.
Have you noticed I've been making a lot of double-fruit creations lately?
Since it's summertime, can you really blame me for trying to double all the fruit goodness in my baking?
I tend to over-buy fruit at the farmer's market or grocery store (I sometimes forget I'm only one person), so I am always looking for ways to eat it up before it goes bad.
When I thought of using my peaches to make crumb bars, naturally I thought of what other fruit I could add in with it! I found this that gave me the idea for peaches + cherries, but I liked the look of the crust from here better.
My crust turned out to look much differently – I halved the ingredients, didn't brown the butter, and melted the butter instead of kept it cold, which is why mine is not as “crumbly” exactly – but it was still delicious.
In fact, when I brought these to work to share, a friend of mine said they were “perfectly balanced – just the right amount of fruit, just the right amount of crust, just perfect.”
So, I'd call it a success.
I gotta admit, I would have never thought of the peaches and cherries combo myself but I'm so glad I tried it.
I sliced the peaches (instead of chopped) and cut around the pits of the cherries to make 4 slices. Used about 12 cherries, which I think is about a cup – but my goal was just for it to be a balanced amount of peach and cherry.
I used a little more than half the dough for the crust and since I wanted the fruit to shine through I just dropped pieces (crumbs) of the dough over top of it after I laid out the fruit.
I didn't want to do a whole layer, like a pie, but you may choose to add more or less dough on top than I did.
These were good both straight out of the oven and after being refrigerated. Goes great with some lemonade, too!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, (1 stick), melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 12 cherries, (about 1 cup), quartered
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To make the crust, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add in the melted butter and egg, and mix until combined.
- Spray a 9 inch round pie pan with oil. Add a little more than half the dough to the bottom of the pan, pressing firmly down into the pan to form the crust.
- Add peach slices evenly over the crust, and add cherry pieces on top and in between the peaches.
- Use remaining dough to cover the fruit by dropping small pieces or balls of dough, so the fruit is still visible and not completely covered.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes, or until slightly browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.