Meatless Million Dollar Spaghetti – A vegetarian spin on the pasta casserole with a cream cheese layer that “tastes like a million dollars!”
So you're probably wondering why this is called “Million Dollar Spaghetti?”
As far as I can tell, the recipe originated from here and named it that because: it tastes like a million dollars!
The reason I'm clarifying “vegetarian” even though every post on this blog will be vegetarian, is because the original recipe has a pound of meat as one of the layers.
It also contains a WHOLE STICK of butter. I decided to halve the amount of butter considered calling this “thousand dollar” spaghetti instead because of those modifications, but I didn't think it was fair. Half a mil pasta?
Either way it's good! If you decide to add 8 tablespoons butter instead of 4, it's probably even better. But I like to cut corners a little bit where I can.
To compensate for whatever flavor might be lost from the butter and meat layer, I added some seasoning to the cream cheese and I also used the Thick & Hearty Mushroom sauce from Ragu's new Homestyle line.
Any flavored pasta sauce will add some more flavor, which I recommend (unless you don't like veggies).
You can also play around with the type of cheese – I this with cheddar cheese and another batch mozzarella cheese. This is called Trial and Eater after all, so I have to live up to my name.
There was no clear winner here, as the verdict was split at my dinner party – so just use whichever cheese you tend to like best!
My personal choice is the mozzarella for the simplicity of the dish, but I still enjoyed the cheddar version, which definitely adds another level of flavor.
Either way this recipe will feed a crowd – just like most of my pasta recipes (grandma's ziti being the favorite).
So you can split it into two 8×8 casserole dishes and freeze one, or just invite everyone you know over.
- 1 lb box of noodles, spaghetti or angel hair
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning or other dried herbs, (optional)
- 1 (23 oz.) can spaghetti sauce - I used Ragu Homestyle mushroom flavor
- 1 (8 oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese, (or sharp cheddar depending on preference)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil water in a large pot and cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and melted butter in a bowl and mix until combined. Add the italian seasoning if using.
- Drain spaghetti noodles once cooked. In a large casserole dish or two smaller 8x8 casserole dishes, arrange half the spaghetti noodles at the bottom of the dishes.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the noodles, spreading out to make an even layer.
- Cover with remaining spaghetti noodles, sauce, then the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
Inspired by the Million Dollar Spaghetti found here: http://ashleykaitlin.blogspot.com/2011/01/million-dollar-spaghetti.html
Option to add meatless ground meat as a layer to be more similar to the "million dollar" concept for more flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.