This might be the first time I’ve ever said the words “optional” and “chocolate” back to back, and it probably won’t happen often.
Also, be sure to enter the $15 PayPal giveaway at the bottom of the post! (update: giveaway now closed.)
The General Mills gluten-free family is growing. They now have 11 gluten-free cereals to choose from! When I was thinking of what recipe to make with a some combination of these cereals, I knew I was leaning towards a snack bar.
I tried a few different versions, and landed on the “fluffernutter” version as my favorite. If you’ve never heard of a fluffernuttter, it’s marshmallow fluff + peanut butter together in a sandwich.
You either think it sounds really weird or really delicious. But as long as you like both ingredients then you’ll love them together. (P.S. If you’re new here, this isn’t the first time I’ve recommended unusual sandwiches.)
I ended up using the Cheerios and Corn Chex as the base, but there are 9 more options for you to be creative with.
Since I always like to give the option to add more chocolate into your life, you can also throw in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the mix.
Just melt the marshmallow fluff, peanut butter and a little butter in the microwave.
And pour over the cereal.
Then just let it cool/harden and it’s ready to eat!
I should maybe be calling these “snack balls” instead of “snack bars” because that seemed to be how mine ended up after it cooled. In case you’re wondering what the chocolate version looks like (you can either replace it for the peanut butter or just add an extra 1/2 cup of chips), here it is.
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large mixing bowl add the Chex and Cheerios cereal.
- In a small bowl, add the marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, and butter. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments, mixing in between until combined.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal and stir until covered. Press mixture into a pan or on wax paper to let cool. After cooled, cut into bars or break into small snack pieces.
*Option to add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the marshmallow mixture.
<Giveaway is now closed>
$15 PayPal Giveaway