Whenever you need a break from over-indulging or simply want some lighter, healthier, veggie-packed meals, this detox cabbage soup is a great recipe to make. Customizable with non-starchy vegetables, herbs and spices, this soup will fill you up with nutrients!
Click here to save this detox cabbage soup recipe on Pinterest!
Oh hey, January.
Do you make new years resolutions?
Or even have a “word of the year?” (or color/mantra/song/emoji?)
If any of the above including eating healthier, lighter, or more vegetables, this recipe is for you.
I've actually been making variations of this soup for the last 6 months. So it's not limited to the first few weeks of the year!
The only real “rule” for this detox cabbage soup is to use non-starchy veggies (including shredded cabbage).
What counts as a non-starchy vegetable? My favorites include:
- Leafy greens (spinach, kale, arugula)
- Brussels Sprouts
You can find a full list here.
You may have heard about the “cabbage soup diet,” which basically has you eat only this for 7 days straight. I've even seen a variation in the book “French Women Don't Get Fat,” and also seen it called “Wonder Soup.”
I'd probably never eat this and only this for 7 days in a row (and I'm definitely not recommending you do so), but this is a good way to lighten up some of your meals when you want some warm, healthy comforting food.
I'll be the first to say that cabbage is not at the top of my favorite vegetables list. But it's popular for its nutrition-packed profile.
Filled with Vitamin K (good for brain power), fiber (for filling you up and good for digestion), Calcium/Magnesium/Potassium (good for bone health) and Vitamin C.
The pictures above all don't include tomato, and the pictures below do. If you want to leave the tomato out, just be aware that you may need to add more broth or water.
You'll want just enough liquid to cover the veggies before simmering.
Add your choice of spices, and enjoy!
Detox Cabbage Soup
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons oil (extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil are my choice)
- 1 large white onion (about 1.5 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 ribs celery , chopped
- 3 large carrots , chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 bell peppers , chopped (about 2 cups) see note*
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice (no salt added), optional**
- 1 (10 oz.) bag shredded green cabbage (about 5 cups)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (more or less depending on the desired texture and bulk of veggies used)
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 tablespoon spices (my choice is 1 teaspoon basil + 1 teaspoon oregano + 1 teaspoon parsley)
- salt and pepper , to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil on stove over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add onion and garlic and stir until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in celery, carrots, bell peppers (or other choice of veggies) and saute until tender (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add in diced tomatoes and shredded cabbage, and enough vegetable broth to just cover the vegetables. Stir.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add in lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper and adjust according to taste. Serve hot.
- Will last in airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days.
*There are affiliate links below and within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.
Recommended and useful items for this detox cabbage soup recipe: