Baked Egg in Avocado (Avocado “Nests”) are a fun way to have a balanced snack or breakfast, or a cute mini serving for a brunch! Customizable with toppings and will last a day or two in the fridge, so you can bake ahead if needed! Low-carb, protein, fiber and healthy fats.
Of all the ways to make an egg… have you ever baked it in an avocado?
Or an avocado egg nest, if you will.
Egg in the avocado (like egg in the hole)? Lots of options to name this.
Regardless – Next time someone asks me how I like my eggs, I'm going to say in an avocado.
It's simple, really.
Scoop out enough of the avocado for the egg to fit. Which, I promise you, is more than you think. Spillage may occur.
You can always add that avocado back on top afterwards or eat it on the side – or while this is baking, if you're hungry.
PRO TIP – the avocados will likely be a little unstable. Definitely use a pan with sides, and let the avocado rest against the side of your baking pan to keep it stable so the egg doesn't spill out.
Bake for around 15-20 minutes, depending on how well done you like your eggs.
It may take a little practice to figure out the time that creates your most favorite egg. Turns out I liked mine a little less cooked rather than overcooked.
It's a little bit hard to tell, but for reference, the top and bottom halves in the below picture were baked for 15 minutes while the sides were more than 20.
Then dress them up how you like them!
A little chopped tomato, salt and pepper, maybe some everything bagel seasoning…
Add the extra avocado back on top if you want.
Maybe hot sauce. HOT SAUCE!
Other options: green onions, chives, really any kind of fresh herbs you like. But that everything bagel seasoning is hard to beat.
It makes the perfect little kinda-on-the-go breakfast or snack. They even keep in the fridge for a day or two (the avocado part won't last much longer than that). This also helps if you don't like hot avocado.
And HOW CUTE would these be for a brunch gathering?
Avocado Egg Nests
- 1 large avocado , halved and pit removed
- 2 eggs
- small handful cherry tomatoes , halved
- salt and pepper
- other spices as desired (like everything bagel seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully scoop out enough avocado from the center of each half to make room for an egg. (Keep in mind a large egg is roughly 3 tablespoons.)
- In a baking dish with sides, place avocado halves cut side up, resting on the sides of dish to balance if needed.
- Crack an egg in each half of the avocado.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes (depending on how well done you like your eggs). Season with salt and pepper, everything bagel seasoning or your favorite herbs, and sliced cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
Recommended and useful items for this avocado egg nest recipe:
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you.