Spicy and sweet and weirdly addicting – I call them apple matchsticks!
Welcome to the second installment for my week of simple apple recipes!
I call these apple matchsticks.
These sort of happened by accident. Originally these were going to be matchstick fries.
So even though these aren't matchstick fries, I feel like matchsticks is still an appropriate name since they have a spicy kick to them. They are strangely addictive, beware!
Just cut up a couple apples into small, fry-size slivers. Sprinkle lime juice and salt over the slices, and add some cayenne pepper. (Start small, just a sprinkle at first!)
If you like it pretty spicy, you can leave as is – or you can add cinnamon to taste until the spiciness is at a tolerable level for you. This is a good metabolism booster as well, with the cayenne and cinnamon!
Think of it as a “master cleanse” in edible form. (Side note: has anybody ever tried to drink one of those? WAY too much cayenne for my taste!)
- 2 apples , cut into fry-size pieces
- 1/2 lime , juiced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sprinkle lime juice and salt over apple slices.
- Add a tiny amount of cayenne pepper (start small, maybe 1/4 teaspoon).
- Add cinnamon, to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon).
- Adjust spice quantities to your preferred level of spiciness. The cinnamon will "dull" the cayenne pepper a little bit.