Veggie Lo Mein with mushrooms, green beans and carrots. Packed with veggies and ready faster than take-out.
I’ve been slacking on cooking lately.
Personal life has taken over and I have resorted to eating out more, snacks on-the-go, and relying on friends to feed me.
On a day I was particularly missing a home-cooked meal (but not so much so that I felt like grocery shopping, obviously) I saw a special deal for one of those meal-delivery services called Hello Fresh.
I had heard about meal-delivery services before but thought they probably weren’t that great or worth the money, but I am happy to report that I was wrong.
They send you all the ingredients needed and the recipes to follow, and it’s a great way to have a home cooked meal while reducing the need for a grocery store trip or meal-planning time.
You still have to do the cooking and the dishes though, but it’s not a perfect world. (Note: This post is not sponsored by Hello Fresh, but if you keep reading there will be a special discount link for you down by the recipe!)
One of the recipes I tried was this Veggie Lo Mein. I loved how easy it was to make and all the fresh veggies made it so much better than take-out.
My only complaint was the way the original recipe was worded, so I’ve tried to make it a little more straight-forward for you here! I think it took me longer to read their recipe than it did to actually cook the meal.
If you haven’t tried Hello Fresh before, use this link to get $40 off your first box. You’ll get 3 recipes (choice of vegetarian or not) for 2 or 4 servings each. Let me know which recipes you try!
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Hoison sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 vegetable stock concentrate packet
For the noodles:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped green beans, (1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 ounces udon noodles, (Japanese wheat noodles)
- green onions, for garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, add the Hoison sauce, soy sauce, honey, water and bouillon cube and mix together. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and garlic for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add chopped green beans, carrots and mushrooms, stirring for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add udon noodles to boiling water, cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes. (Or see package for instructions.) Drain.
- Add noodles and the sauce you set aside earlier to the vegetables. Cook for a few more minutes until sauce has slightly thickened and noodles are covered.
- Serve hot, adding salt and pepper as desired and optional green onions for garnish.
Adapted from Hello Fresh
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 867mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.