Chewy chocolate brownies with a hint of peppermint flavor. No need to crush up candy canes for this recipe!
Before anybody gets me in trouble for baking dessert right now, let me preface this by saying I made these MONTHS ago. I’m just really behind on posting this. Why would I be in trouble at all for making scrumptious baked goods, you ask? Word has spread about my declaration to focus on posting more healthy creations, and while there will definitely be chocolate themed recipes in my future, these don’t exactly count as skinny brownies. In the meantime, there’s no harm in reminiscing about these lovely chewy peppermint brownies, right?
Back in December, I really wanted to make some chocolate peppermint brownies. Though when I was searching for recipes, all I could find were brownies with crushed up candy cane. That is not what I wanted! I just wanted to be able to use my newly purchased peppermint extract to add a hint of peppermint flavor. No candy canes. I found a recipe that also included peppermint tea leaves (!) but as I was starting to play around with it I also greatly misread the amount of flour (it read 4 and 1/2 ounces, I thought it was 4 and 1/2 cups). Luckily I was going to cut the ingredients in half, because that sounded like a lot, but it ended up being very much my own creation by the time I was done. And it worked! These brownies were so soft and chewy and had just the right amount of peppermint flavor I was looking for. You can top them off with peppermint icing…
Or just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
But they are great without toppings, too. I better step away from these pictures or else I’ll want to go make them again. Enjoy!
No crushed candy canes required!
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 and 1/4 stick)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add sugar, eggs, and peppermint extract and beat together. Add chocolate mixture and stir.
- Slowly add flour and mix until combined.
- Line a brownie pan with parchment paper for easy removal, and pour in mixture. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
If you like these brownies, you might also like…