Peppermint eggnog hot chocolate using homemade (cooked) eggnog. Perfect holiday drink! Scroll down below this recipe to see a list of 17 other fabulous eggnog recipes from around the blogosphere! #FoodieExtravaganza
I decided on hot chocolate because I had a ton of cacao powder in the pantry. It may be because I ordered this organic cacao powder forgetting that I had just ordered another 1 pound bag the day before. Amazon makes it too easy, I forget when I click through sometimes!
I’ve been wanting to buy cacao powder for a while after reading about the benefits of cacao vs cocoa. I always thought they were the same (chocolate is good for you, right?) but it turns out cacao is less processed than cocoa and therefore has more nutrients. The two can be used interchangeably in recipes though, so you can use cocoa powder if you don’t have cacao!
Peppermint eggnog hot chocolate using homemade (cooked) eggnog. Perfect holiday drink!
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup eggnog (option for homemade cooked eggnog)
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (or substitute vanilla extract)
- sugar to taste, if needed (depending on the kind of eggnog you use)
- marshmallow creme, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, add water, eggnog, and cacao powder. Whisk together on medium heat until combined and heated through. Add sugar if needed (may not be needed depending on the sweetness of your eggnog). Add peppermint extract. Pour into mug and top with marshmallow cream.
- Multiply ingredients as necessary for multiple servings.
If using an eggnog that is not spiced, you may want to add a dash of cinnamon and/or nutmeg.