Spinach phyllo roll ups – use your phyllo dough for this simple appetizer (or party finger food). Eat your vegetables while having the option to customize to your favorite flavor combo!
Sometimes while grocery shopping (especially at Trader Joe's) I buy things on a whim.
Like all the time.
I may not have a recipe in mind or even know how to cook a given ingredient, but it seems interesting in the moment and before I know it it's in my cart.
Sometimes I don't even realize it until I'm at the checkout counter. This is why I'm not allowed to talk on the phone/multitask while grocery shopping anymore.
Unfortunately some of these things end up in the freezer for months before I figure out what to do with them. One of these things recently was phyllo dough (or filo dough, depending on how you are used to spelling it).
It was getting to the point where I was going to throw some chocolate in it and call it a day (which is the solution to all problems), when this spinach phyllo roll ups recipe ended up in my inbox (thanks grandma).
This is the reason why I figured out how to substitute fresh spinach for frozen, because the original recipe called for a package of frozen spinach (which I did not have).
In an attempt to make it a bit healthier, I decided not to add the melted butter to the phyllo sheets, cut the amount of feta cheese in half, and used 2 sheets of phyllo dough instead of 3 per roll because the Kraft picture looked like it was way too much.
Roll it up like so:
A note about this recipe: most of the flavor comes from the kind of cream cheese you use. I tried it with both Spicy Jalapeno flavor and Garden Vegetable, but experiment with your favorite flavors!
If you want to use plain cream cheese, I would recommend adding some spices like cumin and/or red pepper since you won't get much flavor from the spinach or phyllo dough.
A bit crumbly to cut, but so good! Great as appetizers or finger food for guests.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup freshly cooked spinach
- 8 ounces cream cheese, (your favorite flavor*)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 green onions, , chopped
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg, spinach, cream cheese, feta and green onions.
- Spread 1/4 of the spinach mixture (about 2/3 of a cup) in the middle of 2 stacked sheets of the phyllo dough. Fold the outer edges of the phyllo dough in, and roll up into a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo dough.
- Place phyllo dough logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 375°F for about 23-26 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly and cut into desired size (I cut each log into 6 or 7 pieces).
*This is where most of the flavor will come from. I tried and liked Garden Vegetable cream cheese and Spicy Jalapeno cream cheese. If you choose to use non-flavored cream cheese, be sure to add in some spices like red pepper or cumin to get the most of the flavor.
Adapted from Kraft
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.