A Christmas-tree shaped dessert made with puff pastry, Nutella and peanut butter. Perfect for sharing at parties, super easy to make and only 3 ingredients.
Two Christmas tree shaped foods in a row! We are coming up on the holiday and I wanted to try this ever since I saw this video from Tastemade.
When I made it, I was not intending for it to go on the blog (I actually thought it was going to be a mess) but when it turned out decent I thought I should share with you.
In addition to being super simple, what I love about it is that you can customize your filling. Some ideas for how to mix it up:
- Nutella and Peanut Butter (like this)
- Nutella + Nuts (like in the video above)
- Nutella + Jam
- Nutella + Almond butter
- Nutella + Cream Cheese
The options are endless.
You start with one sheet of thawed puff pastry (or my homemade version) and cut it into a triangle.
It doesn’t have to be perfect, but the triangle should be roughly half of the dough (or slightly less).
Smear your filling (in this case, peanut butter + Nutella) on the triangle.
And cover with the remaining dough. My triangle shapes weren’t exact, but this design is very forgiving since you won’t really be able to tell after baking.
Use any slivers of remaining dough to make a trunk, and/or a star for the top of the tree.
Cut your branches like so. (You can make them wider than this if you prefer.)
Any then use your hands to twist each branch several times, to get them to look like the design below.
And bake until browned!
You can use an egg wash before baking if you’d like to make it more crispy and brown, but I thought mine turned out pretty good without it.
The branches can be plucked off individually for finger food, or cut it into pieces if you’re not serving appetizer style.
Top with powdered sugar and/or sugar pearls for decoration!
If you make this, I’d love to see! Tag me on Instragram @trialandeater and #trialandeater
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons Nutella, or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- (See post for image examples.) Roll out puff pastry and cut into a triangle, saving the pieces of dough you cut off. Spread the Nutella and peanut butter over the triangle.
- Use the remaining puff pastry dough pieces to cover the filling.
- Using a sharp knife, cut lines into each side of the tree to make your branches. Twist each branch 3-4 times. Use any remaining scraps of dough to make a star or tree trunk.
- Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes, or until tree has puffed up and slightly browned.
- Finish with powdered sugar and/or sugar pearls for decoration.
Recipe adapted from Tastemade.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.