A Christmas tree pita pinwheel appetizer that is an adorable hit for any holiday party. Customizable and easy finger food!
Originally posted on 12/23/13, republished with new pictures December 2017.
This was one of the first posts (originally posted 4 years ago)! My grandma gave me a magazine clipping of this Christmas tree pita pinwheel, which I thought was super adorable.
I recently made it again and wanted to refresh the pictures – and this time I switched up the ingredients a bit too! Trading out the sliced cheese for guacamole.
Turns out it’s still hard to make a perfect shaped Christmas tree even 4 years later – but I find my crooked, Charlie Brown tree quite charming.
Making it is super easy! Use spreadable cream cheese (garden vegetable is a good option, can also use plain or your favorite flavor) over the spinach tortillas. Add guacamole and/or cheese slices, and roll tightly.
The original recipe called for ham or some type of meat, so to make this one vegetarian I used spinach as the main filler. You could use a lot of different kinds of vegetables as filler, like asparagus, sliced carrots, etc.
The magazine clipping suggests to then wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes or so, which does help firm up the pinwheels.
Cut into around 1-inch slices, which should give you about 8 pinwheels per tortilla.
After preparing all your tortillas, arrange the pinwheels in the shape of a tree.
Add small grape tomatoes as ornaments, and you’ve got yourself a Christmas tree! You can use toothpicks to keep them in place and also make an easier way for people to serve themselves.
I’ve also seen green or red bell peppers cut out into stars or other decorations for the tree if you want to get a little fancier.
- 6 spinach tortillas
- 1 (8 oz.) tub garden vegetable spreadable cream cheese (or your favorite flavor)
- 1 cup guacamole
- 3 cups baby spinach, torn
- small grape tomatoes, as garnish
- Spread cream cheese over a spinach tortilla.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of guacamole over top of cream cheese.
- Use about 1/2 cup of torn spinach to spread in the middle of unrolled tortilla.
- Roll tightly. For a tighter roll, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Repeat above steps for the rest of the tortilla wraps.
- Remove plastic wrap and cut into 1 inch slices, or about 8 pinwheels per tortilla.
- Stack pinwheels in the shape of a Christmas tree.
*Can customize fillings to your liking. The first time I made this, I used slices of provolone cheese (3 per wrap) instead of guacamole.
**You can also cut green or red bell peppers into stars or ornaments for more decoration.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.