Asparagus Puff Pastry Cigars make a cute and delicious finger food appetizer for your next party or game night!
This is the second recipe from the chef of my Carolina Bed & Breakfast stay!
(See also: Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast!)
These would be a great vegetarian appetizer for any party that requires finger foods. You can use frozen puff pastry or even a homemade version if you’re feeling fancy!
Her original recipe says 5 ounces of puff pastry, which is less than 1 typical sheet.
(The Trader Joe’s package comes with 2 sheets and is 18 ounces, for example.)
So I changed it to be one sheet for easy measurement, but have extra asparagus spears on hand so you can use up as much dough as you have!
These are such a fun appetizer while still being super easy to make. Unique way to use puff pastry for sure.
If you want to use your second sheet of puff pastry for something else, I’d recommend these baked brie bites!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- zest from 1 lemon
- flour, for dusting
- salt and pepper
- 10 asparagus spears
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Blend cream cheese with lemon zest. Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface into a 6in x 10in rectangle and spread the cream cheese over. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into 10 long, thin strips.
- Wrap one pastry strip in a spiral around each asparagus spear and place onto a baking tray. Lightly brush each with beaten egg and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake the cigars in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is golden-brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by an online tool at Nutritionix. It is not always accurate. Please use your own tools to check if you rely on this information.