Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette. A flavorful and healthy salad that is anything but boring!
Recently I was eating out with a friend and we saw a delicious looking dish at the table next to ours. We were trying to figure out what it was, and we figured out it was a roasted beet salad. I’m telling you, it didn’t even look like a salad. The greens were buried under a lot of cheese, cranberries, and what turned out to be roasted beets.
We of course ordered it and it did not disappoint. So I knew I had to share it with you.
Side note: I once had a friend who almost exclusively decided what to order by simply watching what the waiter carried out from the kitchen, and asking for “whatever that lady ordered.” It’s not a bad plan.
The only real difference in my salad versus the one from the restaurant is the cheese. I used feta cheese, and the menu listed a honey-chevre goat cheese. If you can get your hands on some of that, it’s definitely worth it. I’ve seen it at Trader Joe’s (because really, what isn’t at TJ’s?).
Speaking of Trader Joe’s, I also cheated a bit with this recipe and bought pre-roasted beets from there. If your store doesn’t have those already prepped for you, here’s how to roast beets:
Wrap beets in aluminum foil after drizzling with olive oil. Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes to an hour until tender and a knife slides in easily (dependent on size of beets, so check to make sure they don’t burn). Let cool, then peel and slice.
The honey balsamic vinaigrette recipe I share on another post, with an easy to remember formula that is customizable to your tastes.
The ratio for the salad ingredients is totally your call, but I’ll give a guideline in the recipe card.
Recommended and useful items for this roasted beet salad recipe:
- 4 cups mixed greens and/or arugula
- 2 medium beets (plus 1 tablespoon olive oil per beet)
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios , shelled
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- honey balsamic vinaigrette
- Wash beets and cut off stems. Wrap beets in aluminum foil after drizzling with olive oil. Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes to an hour until tender and a knife slides in easily (dependent on size of beets, so check to make sure they don't burn). Let cool, then peel and slice.
- In a large salad bowl, add the greens. Top with sliced beets, avocado, cheese, pistachios and dried cranberries and toss together.
- Serve with honey balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
*Ratio for salad ingredients can be modified as desired
**Buying pre-roasted beets saves on cooking time! I've seen these sold at Trader Joe's.
*There are affiliate links within this post that we can earn a commission on at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to support the site!