Mini caprese salad skewers are a fun finger-food appetizer for any get-together! Add tortellini pasta or keep it simple (and gluten-free) with the basics of tomato, mozzarella and basil. You can prep these ahead as a time-saver.
I made these for a graduation party but these also make for a great finger food for any party or pot luck dinner, and they also make a delicious and colorful holiday appetizer.
The basic ingredients are the same as the chopped caprese salad – cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, basil leaves and extra virgin olive oil with balsamic drizzle. We made them a little bit fancier (and filling) by adding tortellini pasta as well!
You can make these ahead of time (which can be a total life saver) and let them marinate in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. A touch of balsamic glaze right when you’re plating them will make them even prettier, but it’s optional!
The ones in the picture below only have balsamic vinegar drizzle, which isn’t quite as photogenic as the glaze. (But still delicious!)
As long as you have a good sea salt to bring out the flavors, you can’t really go wrong here. It’s easy to make a separate batch if you’re customizing (for example, we had someone who is allergic to balsamic vinegar so we made a plate without it for them).
The red + green also is very festive for a Christmas party! What do you think – will you make them? Show me on Instagram by tagging #trialandeater!
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh mozzarella mini balls (pearls)
- fresh basil leaves
- (optional) tortellini pasta
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- balsamic vinegar and/or balsamic glaze for drizzling
- sea salt (I like pink himalayan)
- bamboo picks or toothpicks for the skewers
- On each bamboo stick (or toothpick) add on a cherry tomato, basil leaf (folding the leaf before skewering helps it stick), and mozzarella pearl. If using the optional tortellini pasta, add that on the end.
- Put the skewers in a storage container and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to eat, plate the skewers on serving plate and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar (more messy) or balsamic glaze (prettier than these pictures!). Serve cold.
- Depending on how long the toothpick you are using, you may choose to add another series of tomato, basil and mozzarella ball (especially if not using the tortellini pasta).
- You can prep these ahead of time to marinate in the fridge before adding the balsamic, overnight to 1-2 days ahead if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.