Cowboy Caviar, also known as Texas Caviar, is a simple salsa / bean salad with a complex flavor! Black eyed peas, sweet corn, and other fresh vegetables covered with an herb-lime dressing that is hard to resist. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping, or you may be tempted to eat it straight out of the bowl with a spoon!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 1 (15 oz. can) black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz. can) black eyed peas , drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned will all work)
- 1 bell pepper , chopped (any color - I used red)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 small red onion , diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro , chopped (or parsley)
- 2 ripe avocados , diced (optional)* see note
- 1 jalapeno , diced (optional)
- tortilla chips for serving
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
In a large bowl, add all salad ingredients (black beans, black eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, tomato, onion, cilantro, avocado and jalapeno (if using) and mix together.
In a mason jar or small bowl, add all dressing ingredients (olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt) and shake or whisk together to combine.
When ready to serve, pour dressing over bean mixture and serve with tortilla chips! Leftovers will keep in airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days.
- I wait to add the avocado until right before serving so it does not brown.
- You can also use red wine vinegar or even regular vinegar in the dressing in place of apple cider vinegar.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 749mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 905IU | Vitamin C: 36.7mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 3.3mg