Quick and easy zucchini boats – a healthy meal or snack that will be ready in just 5 minutes! Endless options for toppings and an excellent way to use your zucchini harvest!
Zucchini is everywhere right now. You’re probably even tired of seeing it, let along eating it. But let me try to convince you to make just one more zucchini recipe!
I’ve been thinking of these things called “zucchini boats” for a long while, and finally got around to making them. My first attempt is a very simple version of zucchini boats, but I wanted to share for those of you who have never heard of them or tried one.
I’m not even sure this counts as a real zucchini “boat” since I did not scoop out the inside of the zucchini to stuff the toppings. I think it works just fine though as long as you’re not trying to overload it with toppings.
I made a simple tomato and cheese version. Instead of cutting the zucchini in half, the one I had seemed thick enough to get 4 slices out of it, so that’s what I did.
I added a little bit of honey to a couple slices, just to see how it tasted (I personally like honey on practically everything, so it’s your call it you want to try it!). After I tried it with the honey I went ahead and added it to the other 2 slices as well.
Then I cut up some mini heirloom tomatoes and added the slices on top.
Cherry tomatoes would work well too.
Of course some shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend) and some dried basil for added flavor.
Because I was running short on time, I popped these in the microwave for a couple minutes, rather than baking.
Can’t get much easier than that!
- 1 large zucchini
- honey (optional)
- 1 cup mini heirloom or cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful shredded cheese (I used a 4-cheese Italian blend)
- dried basil , for topping
- salt to taste
- Wash the zucchini and cut off the ends. Cut lengthwise into 4 slices to make the bottoms of the "boats." Place the slices on a microwave safe plate.
- If desired, drizzle honey on top of zucchini slices. (Can use tomato sauce here instead if you choose.)
- Slice your tomatoes in half and place on top of zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the tomatoes, and finish off with the dried basil or herb of your choosing.
- Microwave for a minute or two until cheese has melted.
- Eat immediately!